[Air-L] Using brick-space measures- Online Education Beats the Classroom

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Wed Aug 19 14:22:25 PDT 2009

I think this is pretty easy to see how we could twist this.  The basic
supposition is likely that the two populations differ in my
experience.  Online classes tend to divide into two populations,
students that have to be there to make up or catch up, and students
that are trying to get ahead, and usually there are more over-
achievers than underachievers around a 2-1 bias i'm guessing.   In my
classes, there tends to be more students doing A quality work in
online classes, than f2f.  F2F i suspect is a more normal population.
So I'd argue that the bimodality with a larger mode of overachievers
in online classes versus a more normal distribution in the f2f
classes, might explain this.  It also explains why online classes seem
to work very well for some students, usually students that are self-
motivated, and in my experience, somewhat less well for students that
do not have the same degree of motivation to do the work.

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Virginia Tech
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
http://wiki.tmttlt.com
http://www.tmttlt.com

Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student.
-George Iles