[Air-L] Book Chapter > Instructional Uses Of Twitter

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Mon Dec 7 10:51:27 PST 2009

Colleagues/

IMHO > An Important / Important  Contribution To The Study Educational
Tweeting !

/Gerry

Learning Management Systems (LMSs) are modeled after classrooms. While
they are fully capable of supporting some learning activities (e.g.,
information and document sharing, asynchronous and synchronous
discussion, and online tests and quizzes), they are incapable of
supporting others. For instance, LMSs currently cannot support the
just-in-time, and sometimes playful, interactions that happen before and
after class, during a break, and so forth.

Out-of-the-classroom interactions like these have potential
instructional value (Kuh, 1995) and can help strengthen interpersonal
relationships between and among faculty and students. In the following
chapter, we briefly highlight some instructional uses of Twitter-a Web
2.0, microblogging tool.

Sections

> Social Presence and Online Learning

> Social Presence and Twitter

> Twitter in Action

> Other Instructional Benefits of Twitter

> Possible Drawbacks

> Conclusion

We set out to enhance the social-presence potential of our online
courses using Twitter. Overall, we found that Twitter helped us
accomplish this. We have found Twitter to be a powerful tool for
establishing informal, free-flowing, just-in-time communication between
and among students and faculty, and with the professional community at
large.

> References

Links To Further Chapter Excerpts / The Open Access Chapter And Entire
Open Access Book / Available At

[ http://tinyurl.com/ycvajl4 ]

 !!! Thanks To Patrick.R. Lowenthal / Academic Technology Coordinator /
University of Colorado Denver / Business School / For The HeadsUp !!!

EnJOY !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

Follow Me On Twitter > http://twitter.com/GMcKBlogs

There Is No Answer, Only Solutions / Olde Irish Saying

The Future Is Already Here, It's Just Not Evenly Distributed

Attributed To William Gibson, SciFi Author / Coined 'Cyberspace