[Air-L] pay phones

Steven James May steven.may at ryerson.ca
Thu Dec 3 19:06:33 PST 2009

Hi Joan,

Under the Telecommunications Policy section of Canada's Telecommunications Act, 1993, it states that one of the objectives of the country's telecommunications policy is to, "render reliable and affordable telecommunications services of high quality accessible to Canadians in both urban and rural areas in all regions of Canada." More here: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/T-3.4/page-1.html#anchorbo-ga:l_I-gb:s_7

Judging from the state of the outdoor pay phones I've tried to use in the Canadian cities of Toronto and Halifax, it would appear that the Act is no longer serving Canadians.

Regards,

Steven James May
PhD Student, Communication & Culture
Ryerson and York Universities