[Air-L] facebook ethnic diversity?

Ralph Paone ralph.paone at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 10:08:09 PST 2009

I started looking for new reports on the DD last week.. It seems like there
hasn't been a large study in some time, those it is still discussed quite in
a bit in the literature.

Have you read the Congressional Research Service Report from 02/09? That is
worth checking out, if only to get a better feel for the institutional
perspective on the divide. Here's the summary I typed up about the DD in the
American context:

"     According to a Congressional Research Service Report (2/2009), only
10% of household lack *access* to broadband service. Although current access
is based on geographic and economic divides, a number of political
developments suggests that broadband *access* will become universal in the
near future: the FCC gave out $7.2 billion dollars to states to spread
broadbant as part of the recovery process; the FCC is also integrating
broadband into its Universal Service Fund in order to try and control
broadband pricing; the USDA’s Rural Utilities Service is providing
increasing numbers of loan guarantees to expand broadband access to those in
rural, underserved, and unserved locations; NTIA is providing broadband and
wireless deployment grants. "

Of course, a number of authors emphasize (in the vein of Henry Jenkins, Mimo
Ito, and others) that *access* is not as important as participation.

An article by Helbig et al from 2009 is quite good at summarizing different
perspectives on the debate. They ultimate take a view similar to this:

“As the technology penetrates into every crevice of society, the pressing
question will be *not* who can find a network connection at home, work, or
in a library or community center from which to log on, but instead, what are
people doing, and what are they *able to do*, when they go on-line?”
(DiMaggio and Hargittai, 2001).

There is also the Internet for Everyone campaign. It seems mostly focused on
ethnographic-type stories, as opposed to large statistical analysis, but
might also be worth checking out:
http://www.internetforeveryone.org/americaoffline/nc

Let me know if you find any recent studies, as I would be incredibly
interested!

warmly,
ralph