[Air-L] HIGHER EDUCATION, EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES, AND COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS

Carpenter, Russell Russell.Carpenter at EKU.EDU
Tue Dec 1 18:18:47 PST 2009

   Apologies for cross-posting...

   CALL FOR CHAPTER PROPOSALS
   HIGHER EDUCATION, EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES, AND COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS:
   CONCEPTS, MODELS, AND APPLICATIONS
   A book edited by Melody Bowdon, PhD (Associate Professor, Department
   of English, University of Central Florida) and Russell Carpenter, PhD
   (Director, Noel Studio for Academic Creativity, Eastern Kentucky
   University)
   To be published by IGI Global
   For more on the publisher and to review the full call online, go to:
   [1]http://www.igi-global.com/requests/details.asp?ID=714
   Proposal Submission Deadline: December 30, 2009
   Full Chapter Submission Deadline: February 28, 2010
   THE CALL
   We seek manuscripts that document and assess partnerships between
   institutions of higher education and K$B!>(B12 schools,
   nonprofit organizations, government agencies, and corporations that
   have been made successful (or even unsuccessful in
   interesting ways) in part through the use of emerging and evolving
   digital technologies. Topics or sites might include
   service$B!>(Blearning; internships; volunteer programs; cooperative
   education; distance$B!>(Blearning; continuing education;
   professional schools such as law, medicine, education, and nursing;
   community development programs including alumni
   relations and fundraising; and/or sponsored research. Technologies
   might include social networking, webconferencing,
   mobile devices, virtual environments such as SecondLife, course
   management systems, and/or Web 2.0 applications.
   THE CONTEXT
   The early boom of web$B!>(Bbased education in the 1990s, both in the
   United
   States and abroad (e.g., in Australia and the UK),
   saw a flurry of publications on the subject of university and industry
   partnerships, with a focus on ways in which online
   learning might lead to new models of collaboration and engagement
   across previously clearly delineated borders. We will
   posit in this volume that this late 1990$B!G(Bs opportunity to make
   connections between industry and academia through emerging
   educational technologies was, on a broad scale, missed by all sides.
   Ten years later, as we approach the end of the first
   decade of the 21st century, we see a similar moment of opportunity for
   collaboration. As organizations of all types struggle to
   survive in increasingly difficult economic times, stakeholders have a
   chance to use emerging technologies to support
   innovative and mutually intellectually, economically, and socially
   beneficial collaborations among academic institutions of all
   levels and non$B!>(Bprofit and profit$B!>(Bdriven organizations of all
   sizes.
   THE SPECIFICS
   Because innovative models for collaboration, new visions of
   relationships between and among organizations, and redrawing
   or even erasing established boundaries are crucial moves for our
   project, we invite writers from all disciplines and fields who
   incorporate community partnerships in their research, teaching,
   service, and other missions to consider submitting proposals
   for case studies (3000$B!>(B5000 words) or traditional academic
   articles
   (7000$B!>(B10,000 words).
   We are interested in:
   $B!|(B Case studies of effective partnerships between/among higher
   education institutions, K$B!>(B12 schools, nonprofit
   organizations, and corporations. This could include narratives,
   assessment summaries, best practices, and so on.
   $B!|(B Articles that offer engaging definitions of key terms of
   relevance
   to this project and that thereby provide insights
   about how we might form better collective questions for the future
   $B!|(B Skeptical perspectives on these ideas$B!>!>(Barticles from
   colleagues who
   believe that technology does not hold the
   answers or that technology might be creating new problems or
   complexities in community partnerships
   $B!|(B Practical descriptions of potentially replicable models that
   will
   help readers understand in detail how the author/s
   made a program or approach work
   $B!|(B Collaborative essays representing multiple stakeholder
   perspectives
   that include the voices of community partners
   (cor
   porate, government, or nonprofit) and the people they serve, as
   well as students, staff members, researchers,
   faculty, administrators, and other entities involved in these
   collaborations
   $B!|(B Technical, pedagogical, ethical, political, bureaucratic,
   commercial, and other perspectives
   We are not looking for:
   $B!|(B Articles that focus on specific how to's for using a particular
   tool that might quickly be obsolete or might not have
   broad application
   $B!|(B Articles that focus only on a partnership or only on a
   technology
   and that do not address their interrelationship
   $B!|(B Models that are entirely speculative$B!>!>(Bwe'd like to see
   demonstration of the value of each approach through
   assessment
   $B!|(B Narratives about projects that include no assessment or
   evaluation;
   assessment can be qualitative and/or
   quantitative but should focus on practices that colleagues could
   consider implementing in some form
   EDITORIAL ADVISORY BOARD
   To support our efforts to include contributors from wide range of
   fields and industries, we have recruited the following
   outstanding researchers to participate in the review of manuscripts
   and
   offer general advice on the volume. The team
   includes:
   $B!|(B Dianna Baldwin, Ph.D., Associate Writing Center Director,
   Michigan
   State University, USA
   $B!|(B Shelley Billig, Ph.D., Vice President, RMC Research Corporation,
   USA
   $B!|(B Mark David Milliron, Ph.D., President and CEO, Catalyze Learning
   International, USA
   $B!|(B Sarena Seifer, M.D., Executive Director, Community$B!>(BCampus
   Partnerships for Health, USA
   $B!|(B Trae Stewart, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, College of Education,
   University of Central Florida, USA
   SUBMISSION PROCEDURE
   Researchers and practitioners are invited to submit 2$B!>(B3 page
   proposals
   describing the objectives and approach of each
   proposed chapter. The final deadline for proposals is December 30,
   2009, but the editors will begin reviewing proposals and
   providing feedback immediately. Authors of accepted proposals will be
   notified by January 15, 2010, and sent chapter
   guidelines. Full chapters will be due on February 28, 2010. All
   submitted chapters will undergo a double$B!>(Bmasked review
   process. Contributors may also be invited to serve as reviewers for
   the
   project.
   IMPORTANT DATES
   December 30, 2009: Final Proposal Submission Deadline
   January 15, 2010: Notification of Acceptance
   February 28, 2010: Full Chapter Submission Deadline
   May 15, 2010: Review Results Returned
   June 15, 2010: Revised Chapters Due
   July 15, 2010: Final Chapter Submission
   PUBLISHER
   This book is scheduled to be published by IGI Global (formerly Idea
   Group Inc.), publisher of the $B!H(BInformation Science
   Reference$B!I(B (formerly Idea Group Reference), $B!H(BMedical
   Information
   Science Reference,$B!I(B $B!H(BBusiness Science Reference,$B!I(B and
   $B!H(BEngineering Science Reference$B!I(B imprints. For additional
   information regarding the publisher, please visit [2]www.igiglobal.
   com. This publication is anticipated to be released in early 2011.
   INQUIRIES, PROPOSALS AND SUBMISSIONS CAN BE SENT ELECTRONICALLY IN MS
   WORD TO:
   Melody Bowdon, PhD and/or
   E$B!>(Bmail: mbowdon at mail.ucf.edu
   407$B!>(B823$B!>(B6234
   or
   Russell Carpenter, PhD
   E$B!>(Bmail: russell.carpenter at eku.edu
   859$B!>(B622$B!>(B6229

   Russell G. Carpenter, Ph.D.
   Assistant Professor of English
   Director, Noel Studio for Academic Creativity
   Eastern Kentucky University
   859-622-6229
   [3]http://www.studio.eku.edu/