[Air-L] THE FOURTH PARADIGM (book)

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 16 17:17:32 PST 2009

(I especially like the "lost at sea" reference here . . . although bad luck for the sailor and family)

THE FOURTH PARADIGM

Data-Intensive Scientific Discovery. Edited by Tony Hey, Stewart Tansley and Kristin Tolle. Microsoft Research. 252 pages.

Review by John Markoff, New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/15/science/15books.html?em

In a speech given just a few weeks before he was lost at sea off the California coast in January 2007, Jim Gray, a database software pioneer and a Microsoft researcher, sketched out an argument that computing was fundamentally transforming the practice of science.

Dr. Gray called the shift a “fourth paradigm.” The first three paradigms were experimental, theoretical and, more recently, computational science. He explained this paradigm as an evolving era in which an “exaflood” of observational data was threatening to overwhelm scientists. The only way to cope with it, he argued, was a new generation of scientific computing tools to manage, visualize and analyze the data flood.
Denise N. Rall, PhD. Special Projects, Faculty of Arts & Science,  Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA
Mobile +(61) (0)438 233 344 http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/esm/staff/pages/drall/
Join the Association of Internet Researchers http://aoir.org
IR 11.0 Meets: 21-23 October 2010, U. of Gothenburg-Gothenburg,Sweden