[Air-L] Wanted: Examples of assessment procedures for digital scholarship:

Jankowski nickjan at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 17 09:13:17 PST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

We are interested in the experience of persons on the AoIR list regarding
university and department allowance / acceptance of digital scholarship,
especially scholarship appearing in social media (e.g., blogs, social
network sites) and in online–only journals. We know there is a general
institutional ‘bias’ toward publications appearing in high status journals
employing double blind peer review procedures, but we also know there are
increasing instances of institutions acknowledging - and sometimes
encouraging - publication in less traditional venues.

Here is a list of institutions, compiled by the Modern Language
Association, developing assessment guidelines for evaluation of digital
scholarship:
http://www.mla.org/resources/documents/rep_it/dig_eval

Here is a Chronicle of Higher Education story, ‘The new metrics of
scholarly authority’, describing the issues involved:
http://chronicle.com/article/The-New-Metrics-of-Scholarly/5449

Can some of you share other examples of changes in assessment procedures
regarding scholarly publishing in less traditional venues like those
mentioned above?

Thanks very much for any and all suggestions; we’ll compile the reactions
and post them on this list early next year.

Best to all in this holiday season!

Nick Jankowski and Clifford Tatum
nickjan at xs4all.nl, clifford.tatum at vks.knaw.nl