[Air-L] EUI Workshop on Online Research Methods

Jeroen Moes jeroenm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 01:20:07 PST 2009

Dear all,

A while ago, some of us discussed the possibility of organising a workshop
on online research methods at the European University Institute (EUI) in
Florence, Italy. It now seems likely that such a workshop will indeed be
organised in Spring 2010 (exact dates t.b.a.).

Since there may be a wider interest among members of this list, I've pasted
a small excerpt of the 'notice' that I sent around here at the institute to
see whether there is enough 'in-house' interest:

-------
The current proposal consists broadly of three different elements:
1. The *implications of the internet and mobile technologies for social
scientific research* (i.e. how does this ‘connectedness’ affect social
organisation more generally)
2. *Research explicitly on online groups, communities and phenomena* more
broadly (either as a standalone project or as an element of a wider study)
3. *Specific methodologies* that aim to *deal with* the ‘online world’ or *take
advantage of* the possibilities that these ‘new’ technologies offer for
social science research

In discussing these different aspects, we are currently considering a number
of topics for inclusion into the programme.

With regard to *methodological tools*: online survey design (possibilities,
advantages, limitations), ‘digital (/virtual) ethnography’, online focus
groups and interviews, online social network analysis, using social media
for participant/respondent sampling, and applying quantitative, qualitative,
and mixed methods research designs.

With regard to the range of *specific topic*s, we are currently considering
(among other things): online communities (e.g. diaspora communities and/or
'virtual' communities), ‘weak tie’ social networks, blog(osphere) research,
the relationship between 'online/virtual' and 'offline' relations, online
governance, and technology and society approaches.
-------

If you're interested in participating, or if you have suggestions for the
workshop (topics, methods, people, etc.), please just drop me a line at this
address or at jeroen.moes at eui.eu.

Have a good christmas/newyear,
Jeroen

Jeroen Moes
PhD Researcher, Department of Political and Social Sciences
European University Institute <http://www.eui.eu/>
Via dei Roccettini 9, 50014, San Domenico di Fiesole, Florence, Italy
Jeroen.Moes at eui.eu | www.jeroenmoes.eu