[Air-L] virtual ethnography

laetitia le chatton laetitia.lechatton at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 01:20:59 PST 2009

Hi,
Rhiannon wrote

"I expect "thick descriptions" and substantial verbatim comments
covering a range of participant experience, not a few illustrative
snippets.
I think there is an assumption that because the field  is "virtual,"
anyone (grad students and profs alike) can try their hand at it
without the training required to prepare for "real life" fieldwork"

  I felt a bit concerned by this statement. I wanted to say that we
coul interpret this as a bit elitist. I went to ethnography for online
health communities because most of the research focused either on
empowerment of patients, either on on the absence of control of these
dangerous discussions about health. I aimed at escaping such normative
views , and I was not  searching for simplicity or  simple snippets. I
think ethnography constitutes mor for most of us a way to  escape
preconceptions, rather than an accessible virtual field. It may be the
reason for having such discussions about definitions and methods.  I
have read Manul Boutet's work and his use of graphs comes from a deap
understanding of what "community" means for gamers. Anyway, that was
just my thought,

Sincerely,
Laetitia