[Air-L] References about interviewing online?

Monica Barratt tronica at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 20:22:43 PST 2009

Hi Abigail

I have just written a review of online interviewing as part of my PhD
write-up, focusing on qualitative synchronous interviewing (with instant
message programs). Email me and I can provide you with it if that's helpful.
I do intend to publish it formally once I've made more progress with the
rest of the writing.

I notice you are with NCHSR. My project involved using online interviewing
with drug users who also used internet forums to discuss drugs. I found no
other studies where drug using populations were interviewed via IM. If you
are looking to use this method with a drug-using sample, perhaps we should
chat further.

PS. it ended up being very successful with this group but I guess it would
all depend on the sample and how comfortable they were with the technology
(this also applies to the interviewer who needs to be very familiar with it
too!)

Kind regards,
Monica

Monica J. Barratt, B.Sc.Psych
PhD Student @ the National Drug Research Institute
7/19-35 Gertrude St, Fitzroy, Victoria 3070, Australia
Phone: +61 3 9412 9902; Fax: +61 3 9412 9912
E-mail: monica.barratt at postgrad.curtin.edu.au
Web: http://db.ndri.curtin.edu.au/staff.asp?persid=650