[Air-L] Does Comm Sci notice the internet?

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Mon Feb 9 09:52:12 PST 2009

Interesting question. The last "comm. dept." I taught in--a dept. at a
division one school with a storied past--decided to map out the next
several positions that it would like to fill. Among those I suggested
was a position in new media. The only response I got was a look like I
had a third eye. I suspect that more than a few departments are quite
happy to maintain tradition and cede an area of study with promise of
significant funding and growth to other departments because new media
faculty might gain more attention and funding than the current
faculty, thereby threatening ever-so-fragile egos. In addition, who
knows what side new media folks might choose in the department's civil
war? BTW, if you think these are absurd or even just tongue-in-cheek
suggestions, you haven't worked where I have.
--Christian Nelson