[Air-L] Research on Incorporating Web 2.0 Technologies (Especially SNSs) in Teaching

Chris Greenhow greenhow at umn.edu
Tue Feb 17 12:28:19 PST 2009

Hi Yifeng,

We have done a fairly extensive review of the educational research
literature databases and table of contents scans in a dozen leading
educational research journals looking for published empirical work on the
incorporation of Web 2.0 technologies, especially SNSs into teaching and
learning. In our experience, most of the current scholarship focuses on the
integration of blogs and wikis and, to a lesser extent, podcasting.  There
are few studies that focus on the integration of SNSs in education or study
SNSs from educational perspectives; that said, there are some studies that
focus on SNSs as they are being used on college campuses. See for example
this latest ECAR study 2008 with chapter on SNSs:
http://connect.educause.edu/Library/Abstract/TheECARStudyofUndergradua/47485

In addition, the Digital Youth Project focuses on young people's use of SNSs
and other digital media outside of schools --
http://digitalyouth.ischool.berkeley.edu/

You might also be interested in Aleman & Wartman (2009) Online Social
Networking on Campus: Understanding What Matters in Student Culture. New
York: Routledge -- came out Jan, 09

Finally, my colleagues and I have a few articles coming out that you may be
interested in that deal with high school students' learning with
SNSs/development of 21st century competencies. Moreover, we will have a
draft of the literature review I mention this spring, if you're interested.

Best wishes,

Christine

Christine Greenhow, Ed.D.
Learning Technologies
College of Education and Human Development
University of Minnesota
125J Peik Hall
159 Pillsbury Drive SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
(651) 226-4015
greenhow at umn.edu
Skype: christine.greenhow
Youth and Social Media Study  www.newscloud.com/research
Funded by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
Research Group: www.socialnetresearch.org
Networks and Neighborhoods Symposium: www.networksincyberspace.org
Program Affiliations: www.admissionpossible.org
Link to my profile at www.linkedin.com or www.facebook.com