[Air-L] Using ANT as ethos and method

Liam Berriman liam336 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 08:35:06 PST 2009

Hi Tamara,

I'm also currently working with ANT as part of a PhD thesis into the
co-constitution of young children's websites. Like others on the list have
said, ANT is not necessarily satisfactory as a method/theory unto itself and
i've been considering how it can be combined with a number of different
areas of theory (childhood studies, new media studies, socio-spatial theory)
and different methods. I definitely feel that ANT has something to offer
studies of old and new media, away from the buzzword of 'network'. I've been
interested in mapping associations between a heterogeneous range of actors
(children, designers/developers), technologies (design software, hardware
etc) and social spaces (websites, virtual worlds, bedrooms, design offices
etc).

In terms of flattening the divide, i would be cautious not to take this as
face value and I think a more practical approach would be to take a
reflexive approach to relations. As in my own case, acknowledging that the
voice of children often come from a position of marginal power and
reflecting on how they come to be translated by design teams and also
through research (such as my own).  You talk about how the pursuit of MMO
gaming is treated as a socially maligned form of leisure and I think that
ANT would have the potential to help you understand how this activity
becomes framed as such (especially when it may not be significantly
different to other forms of activity which receive less social prejudice).
These were just a few ideas I had when considering your post. I'll be happy
to talk off list further about ANT if you wish.

Good luck with the research.

Liam

--
Liam Berriman