[Air-L] Using ANT as ethos and method

Alexander Semenov semenoffalex at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 10 10:23:20 PST 2009

It's a part of my mentor's dissertation about Erving Hoffman's "Frame
analysis" and course called "Sociology of everyday life". It's in Russian
and I'm not sure whether it was translated into English. Perhaps, he says
something in his article "Remembering Irving Hoffman", but I couldn't find
it online, only this hyperlink to the contents
(http://wciom.com/library/monitoring-journal/previous-issues/no-3-83-2007.ht
ml).
But I can retell you the logic. There are two branches in sociology of
everyday life: "ontological" and "relative". The first one says, that there
is only one "real" or paramount reality, and others are secondary to that
one. This point of view is based on the Alfred Shutz's work " On Multiple
Realities". The other point suggests that each "reality" has equal status.
This is Erving Hoffman's position in "Frame Analysis".
Something like that.
Best wishes,
Alexander.