[Air-L] Web 2.0 and Libraries / Seminar / Rome, Italy / March 6 2009

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Thu Feb 12 09:35:28 PST 2009

Colleagues/

I have been invited to give a keynote presentation at a workshop in Rome, Italy, on March 6 2009:

Web 2.0 and Libraries / Seminario di Aggiornamento

Università degli Studi di Roma Tre (Facoltà di Architettura) / Aula Urbano VIII / Via della Madonna dei Monti / 40 Roma / 6 marzo 2009 / h.9.00-13.30

Web 2.0 has posed a number of challenges for the library and marks a transition within the library world in the way that services are delivered to users. In the course of this seminar, organised by CASPUR /CIBER in collaboration with AIB Lazio, AIDA, CILEA, FAO and University of Rome Three Library System we will seek to describe how libraries have responded to the opportunities offered by Web 2.0 applications and how organisations can best exploit the potential which Library 2.0 can provide.

Keynote speaker, Gerry McKiernan, will describe current trends and changing scenarios, while other speakers will describe how Library 2.0 features have been deployed with a special focus on the Italian context.

9.00 - 9.30 / Greetings and Introduction / Mary Joan Crowley, Università degliStudi di Roma "La Sapienza"

9.30 - 11.00 / The Future of The Library / Gerry McKiernan, Iowa State University Library

11.00 - 11.30 / Coffee break

11.30 - 12.00 / Q&A

12.00 - 12.30 / "Italian Library 2.0?": One question, many answers / Bonaria Biancu, Università di Milano Bicocca

12.30 - 13.00 / Aggregated News and Events on Agriculture: AgriFeeds / Valeria Pesce, FAO

13.00 - 13.30 / Will Web 2.0 ever meet library catalogs? / Andrea Marchitelli, CILEA

Abstract

_The Participatory Web: Web 2.0 and The Future of The Library_

As characterized by Wikipedia, "'Web 2.0' describes the changing trends in the use of World Wide Web technology and web design that aim to enhance creativity, communications, secure information sharing, collaboration and functionality of the web" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0]

Such 'participatory' technologies include not only blogs (e.g. Blogger), photo-sharing (e.g. Flickr), social bookmarking (e.g. Delicious), but folksonomies (e.g., tagging), online social networks (e.g., Facebook), video-sharing (e.g., YouTube), and wikis (e.g., Wikipedia).

In this workshop we provide an overview of several significant Web 2.0 technologies and profile numerous examples of libraries worldwide that have implemented these interactive technologies in their efforts to enhance collaboration and communication with their respective communities.

Free | Pre-registration Required | Facebook EVENT Page

>>Requests<<

While I will profile The Usual Web 2.0 Suspects in my presentation, I am also interested in promoting newer/emerging Web 2.0 technologies as well, and would appreciate Any and All Suggestions; Library implementations would be of special interest.

In addition to implementations by U.S./Canadian libraries, and I am particularly interested in Web 2.0 implementations by libraries in non-U.S. regions (e.g., Africa, Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe, Latin America, Oceania, etc.)

>>Please Post Your Suggestions As A Comment On The Associated Blog Posting At <<

[ http://tinyurl.com/dzpa99 ]

Thanks For Assistance!

Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come / Victor Hugo
[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows
 [ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/