[Air-L] the role of new media in reducing health care cost?

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 23 23:28:32 PST 2009

On 22-Feb-09, at 7:37 PM, Yifeng Hu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for articles/thoughts about whether new media can play
> a role in reducing health care cost. Any perspectives are welcome.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Yifeng**
>
> -

Some thoughts

We have been using tools like Freenets in the middle 1990's and forum
style web sites to now blogs by  consumer staff. When I say "we" I
mean the mental health consumer/user community in Ottawa Canada and
also more now joined by professional parnerships. While I can not give
studies pointing to the use of the net in particular as effective, I
do have studies or my staff do, that consumer peer support reduces
hospitalization.  This has shifted our government spending on health
from hospitals to community groups like users groups. I would also add
that I have gone from unemployed mental health patient with some
university, to graduate school and working full time and an active
consumer disabilities advocate because of the net largely but also by
participation in consumer survivor groups and the use of less
professional health care. The main gain with the net is being a writer
very day. There are also secondary gains of owning computers such as
being able to run say SAS, Matlab, or Maple at home for school work.

The most effective online tool for me has been email list serves on
mental health topics. But there are other tools like personal recovery
blogs that have also helped me.

tools that are effective in business also reduce costs in consumer
survivor groups.

Net users are the person of the year in Time magazine and I tend to
think in my bubble that consumers survivors of psychiatry are also
benefiting from this self empowerment trend.

You might visit http://www.psychiatricsurvivors.org/

all the best and please share any articles you find. Peter

Peter Timusk,
B.Math statistics (2002), B.A. legal studies (2006) Carleton University
Systems Science Graduate student, University of Ottawa.
just trying to stay linear.
Read by hundreds of lurkers every week.
Kiitos Paljon,  Merci,  and thank you.