[Air-L] Virtual Ethnography and CyberAnthropology

Paul Emerson Teusner email at teusner.org
Wed Feb 4 17:15:55 PST 2009

Hi Pearse and everyone,

Pearse, really interesting that you mentioned...

" If we take the cyborg to represent the meshing of human with
technological, then technologies, however rudimentary (the bicycle, the ball
point pen, the bow and arrow) perfectly and elegantly make us cyborgs. We
must conclude; that language, as a technology, as that key component of
/being/ a human being, places us all inside the cyber, regardless of how
wired in we are, how far off line or however long ago we existed. These
symbolic worlds where humanity exists reduces, or produces us to cyber."

...as there have been some discussions on my blog (teusner.org) about how we
theorise the cyborg and its basis for researching people online. Brenda
Brasher has done some work on thinking about cyborgs as a class of people
whose access to and interaction with and through technology separates them
from others in language, thought, values and maybe even economic status. Sue
Thomas has also written another theory of the cyborg as one who - rather
than looking at the Internet to see the world - is one whom the world sees
by looking at the Internet. (hope that makes sense). I also know that Heidi
Campbell and David Gunkle are presenting at the ICA conference on a panel
about human relations to technology and truth. It might be worth checking
out.

paul emerson teusner