[Air-L] Research on multiple CMC environments

Murray Turoff murray.turoff at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 21:21:25 PST 2009

This study from 1981 is worth reviewing for comparing four or five
different forms of CMC including electronic mail.
RR#16 	Studies of computer mediated communications systems : a
synthesis of the findings 	n.d. 	Starr Roxanne Hiltz, Elaine B. Kerr
http://library.njit.edu/archives/cccc-materials/

This study resulted from an NSF sponsored workshop on Computer
Mediated Communications.  Those who contributed to the material
besides teh authors were:

There were 15 persons that contributed besides the authors.

Thel study of many different early groups using EIES is

RR#15 	The impact of a computerized conferencing system on scientific
research communities 	Jan. 1981 	Starr Roxanne Hiltz

Note that many of these groups had tailored communication structures
for their particular application and as a result many of these were
studies of different CMC systems such as the following three: TOPICS,
a standards setting system with unanmus voting and anonymity to move a
standard forward by 40 participants, a review of 5000 research reports
on hepatitis research by a group of 12 researchers to determine
resulting information for practitioners.   Roxanne published a
separate book on these studies.

A few related papers

Hiltz, S. R., & Turoff, Murray, (1981), The Evolution of User Behavior
in a Computerized Conferencing System, Communications of the ACM,
Volume 24, Number 11, November.

Turoff, Murray and Hiltz, S. R., (1982), The Electronic Journal: A
Progress Report, invited  paper presented to the Association of
American Publishers, New York, September 1979; published in the
Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 33, 4 (July),
195-202.

Turoff, Murray and Hiltz, S. R., (1982), Computer Support for Group
versus Individual Decisions.  IEEE Transactions on Communications,
Special Issue on Office Automation, Com-30, 1 (January): 82-90.
(There were lots of experiments by us and others o different
communication structures to support decision analysis.   Some complete
experiments in reports at the njit library site.

Turoff, Murray, (1990), Computer Mediated Communication Requirements
for Group Support, Journal of Organizational Computing, Volume 1,
Number 1.  (this was an attempt to summarize all the different design
choices for designing different CMC systems.   There is more in recent
literature such as the fact that the software engineers in IEEE
(Systems man and cybernetics) have at last recognized the concept of
building human roles into the CMC software for different applications.
  There was also some of the same concept of role software in some of
the early hypertext systems.

Message: 2