[Air-L] qual data analysis software for Mac?

Dan Perkel dperkel at ischool.berkeley.edu
Mon Feb 2 23:02:08 PST 2009

I've not found anything designed as QDA for a Mac.

A few of my colleagues and I have used VMWare (or Parallels) running
MaxQDA with success. I assume that it would work fine with Atlas or
NVivo as well. The downside is that you have to pay for
VMWare/Parallels and Windows on top of the money spent on the QDA
packages. But switching back and forth between the app. and anything
you have running on the Mac side of things has been pretty seamless.

I do wonder if re-purposing all of the new note-taking and annotation
applications (or Excel) would serve many of the best features of QDA
minus all of the bloat. It may depend on the kind of analysis you
intend to do.

Regards,

Dan

Dan Perkel
PhD Candidate
School of Information and Berkeley Center for New Media
UC Berkeley
dperkel at ischool.berkeley.edu