[Air-L] Apple Mac qualitative data analysis

Monica Barratt tronica at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 19:45:56 PST 2009

Hello air-listers

I am currently running NVivo8 on a Macbook using VMWare. I run Windows XP
within Mac OSX. Sometimes I have some slow moments, but on the whole, NVivo
works and works well - I have now got to the stage of testing it running
large queries and, unlike previous set-ups, NVivo hasn't crashed.

I did upgrade my Macbook from 2GB RAM to 4GB - but this cost under $AU 100
doing it myself with a friend's assistance.

I did consider the idea of using TAMS. The main issue for me was that I had
already put a lot of work into the NVivo file and would have had to begin
again and learn a new program without any technical assistance around me (I
have colleagues that use and understand NVivo that I can talk to).

I certainly enjoy using OSX more than XP - so perhaps for the next project,
I will go with a Mac-native qual analysis package. So, I would love to hear
people's experiences with the different programs and I'll take that
information into account when I get to this decision!

Monica

Monica Barratt

PhD Student
National Drug Research Institute