[Air-L] virtual ethnography

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Tue Feb 3 11:06:09 PST 2009

Pearse:

I found that my training as a media researcher, a journalist and a film
producer/director was actually great training to do my ethnographic
studies. I was able to utilize everything from iPods to video cameras to
still cameras to email to blogs to post data. I was able to get releases
that combined with the IRB to protect the informants really personal
data but to tell a story. Most filmmakers are taught documentaries early
on because it is a long and exhaustive story that goes on and on without
editing. In research, my job is easier because I don't have to edit at
all. All I need to do is to create highlights for findings. With
filmmaking, I can get direct quotes,and I get pre-interviews through
email, text messaging or a wiki. These questions are essentially the
same questions that I will ask in the live interview, but it gives me a
chance to get immediate feedback with thought because it is in writing
or through webcams. Further, the live recorded interviews move smoother
because the participant develops rapport when one pursues more developed
follow-up questions based on earlier answers. I would have loved to have
had Flip HD cameras when I was collecting data back in 07.

Chris A. Heidelberg, Ph.D.
Loyola College of Maryland
Faculty