[Air-L] Automated analysis of large social network

Fred Stutzman fred at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Feb 11 16:04:38 PST 2009

There are quite a few papers about large-scale OSN analysis.  You might
look at the work of Barabasi, Kleinberg, Kumar, Thelwall, Adamic and
Huberman.  By now there are probably a number of reviews on this topic.  I
wrote one as a first year but you don't want to read that.

Some papers include:

Spertus, E., Sahami, M., and Buyukkokten, O.  (2005).  Evaluating
Similarity Measures: A Large-Scale Study in the Orkut Social Network.  In
Proceedings of KDD 2005.

Heer, J. and Boyd, D.  (2005).  Vizster: Visualizing Online Social
Networks.  In Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Information
Visualization (InforViz 2005).

Liben-Nowell, D. and Kleinberg, J.  (2007).  The link-prediction problem
for social networks.  Journal of the American Society for Information
Science and Technology, 58(7), 1019-1031.

Kumar, R., Novak, J., and Tomkins, A.  (2006).  Structure and Evolution of
Online Social Networks.  In Proceedings of KDD 2006 (pp. 611-617).
Halvey, M. and Keane, M. T.  (2007).  Exploring Social Dynamics in Online
Media Sharing.  In Proceedings of WWW 2007.

Thelwall, M.  (2008).  How are Social Network Sites Embedded in the Web? An
Exploratory Link Analysis.  Cybermetrics: International Journal of
Scientometrics, Informetrics and Bibliometrics, ISSN 1137, 5019(12), 1.

Adamic, L., Buyukkokten, O., and Adar, E.  (2003).  A Social Network Caught
in the Web.  First Monday, 8(6).
http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue8_6/adamic/index.html

Adamic, L. and Adar, E.  (2005).  How to Search a Social Network.  Social
Networks, 27(3), 187-203.

Adamic, L. and Adar, E.  (2003).  Friends and Neighbors on the Web.  First
Monday, 8(6).

Huberman, B. and Adamic, L.  (2004).  Information Dynamics in the Networked
World. In Ben-Naim, E., F. H. and Toroczaki, Z. (Eds.), Complex Networks
(pp. 371-398). Berlin: Springer-Verlag.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Andrew Long wrote:

> Hi Luca -
>
> You may want to talk to Valdis Krebs at: http://www.orgnet.com/ about SNA of large
> social networks. In fact she has software to do this kind of thing.
>
> Kind regards
> Andrew

> http://andrew-long.name  | Department of Information Science | School of Business
> University of Otago  |   NZ   | +64 3 479 8319  |  mailto:along at infoscience.otago.ac.nz

Fred Stutzman
Ph.D. Student and Teaching Fellow
School of Information and Library Science, UNC-Chapel Hill
fred at metalab.unc.edu | (919) 260-8508 | http://fstutzman.com/