[Air-L] Looking for academically valid stats about the internet

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at umail.iu.edu
Mon Jan 19 05:57:13 PST 2009

Hi Jeremy,

Many of the stats you are seeking can be found on the sites themselves. I would first check their "About" pages, very few have separate listings for "Statistics" pages. There are also third-party sites like Alexa and marketing firms such as Caslon Analytics that track usage for some SN sites. Finally, you can often find links or clues to some SN site's user stats on their Wikipedia pages.

Are they academically useful? Well when it's all you have it's useful...and we have been using these kinds of numbers in publications for years.  Just remember that all counts are dynamic and must be fully cited.

Hope that helps,

Lois

Lois Ann Scheidt
Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana University, Bloomington IN USA
Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
CV:  http://www.loisscheidt.com/cv.html