[Air-L] Transcription Software

Sue Cranmer sue at jcranmer.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 12:10:15 PST 2009

Hello Stephanie

Good luck with your PhD. Unfortunately (and I wish this were otherwise), I
doubt that Dragon will help you with transcribing qualitative interviews.
I've used it for several years (now using 9.5 though 10 has been released),
I have never had any success with getting it to transcribe interviews for
me. The reason is that although the newer versions don't need so much voice
training as earlier versions, the trick when using Dragon is to speak in
phrases so that it can pick up the sense of each word. Also, you need to
verbalise punctuation. I have carried out some transcribing of audio data
with it, but it has involved listening to a recording and then speaking each
word into a microphone. Hopefully this helps although it's probably not what
you want to hear.

Best Wishes

Sue

This text was dictated using Speech Recognition software. Apologies for any
mistakes left uncorrected.

Dr Sue Cranmer

Researcher

Department of Education