[Air-L] out of luck re transcription?

Dominik M. Rosenauer rosenauer at mac.com
Thu Jan 29 08:01:09 PST 2009

when I conducted my interviews I had tons of paper, I wrote it down by hand and I recorded it additionally. then i used atlas ti to write down the transcribed material and coded it. thus i worked with the material 3 times and endless times coding, re-coding, changing codes, grouping etc etc. this way I came to a very neat conclusion and very compressed material. i think, that this working with the material was the most important part of the process - using a grounded theory approach was another help. I think you really have to dig through everything you wrote and a digital way to make it easier, more efficient or simply quicker would lead to different conclusions.

best

dominik

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:42:41 +0100, Pam Brewer <brewerpe at appstate.edu> wrote:

> I recently conducted 99 interviews using VOIP and phone (about 150 hours
> of interviews).  Like others, I couldn't find any software tool that
> would transcribe the interviews effectively, and I didn't think the
> final product of machine transcription would capture what I needed
> efficiently and effectively anyway.  So, I used tried and true,
> dirty-hands methods.  I took good notes while interviewing and recorded
> the interviews digitally.  I then transcribed my own written notes more
> thoroughly immediately after each interview.  It was from those notes
> that I gathered my data, and I used the digital recordings to check the
> accuracy of quotes, review details of an issue, review tone, etc.  But I
> made no attempt to transcribe all of the audio notes from the files.

> Pamela Estes Brewer
> Assistant Professor
> Department of English
> Appalachian State University
> phone 828-262-2351
> fax  828-262-2133
> email  brewerpe at appstate.edu
>

> Rhiannon Bury wrote:
>> I had no idea what "mechanical turk" was--thank goodness for Wiki. ;) I
>> don't think folks seem to appreciate the skill it takes to do a proper
>> transcription.  A good transcriber is worth his or her weight in gold!
>> I find it hard to believe that top transcribers are lining up to offer
>> their services on this web service.  I recently had some done by a
>> person who came recommended and had experience and it was not well
>> done.
>> And I'm totally with Denise. If you want to really understand your
>> data, you need to get your hands dirty.  I always listen to my
>> interviews and take detailed notes, including on intonation etc even if
>> I don't do the transcription myself.
>> Rhiannon

>> http://www.aoir.org/

dominik m. rosenauer