[Air-L] virtual ethnography

Pearse Stokes pearsestokes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 16:18:00 PST 2009

Hi,

I just thought I'd add the following.

Firstly, I'm not sure Miller & Slatter perform any kind of 'virtual
ethnography' in the strict sense in 'The Internet: An Ethnographic
Approach' and generally I think it's massively dated.
The key text from the 90s would be Hine's Virtual Ethnography and
Hakken's Cyborgs at Cyberspace. I consider Hine's to be way ahead of its
time in terms of the other books that were emerging at the time and
actually still pretty current.

My problem with Virtual Ethnography is that it commits the cardinal sin
of bad ethnography; It takes a preconceived notion and attempts to graft
that method onto a new research site. Also, I believe the dichotomy of
virtual and real is a false one. Furthermore, it retains the
anthropological stance of the researcher, and 'the other'. It places the
web firmly 'in there' (inside the box or across a 'network of networks')
and I argue that it most definitely does not exist in there and that the
term virtual is nothing more than a convenience.

More recently Virtual Ethnography or Netnography or webnography, are
performed primarily in the commercial arena, with Puri's Web of Insight
as a sort of handbook (available here:
http://lk.nielsen.com/documents/WebofInsightsPaperMay07.pdf)

Further, if you consult recent articles that claim to perform virtual
'ethnography' generally they perform 'participant observation' without
actually 'writing the culture' (the 'graphy' in ethnography). An example
would be boyd's 'Why Youth (heart) Social Networking sites' ... an
extended period of 'deep And for the most part virtual ethnography is
just interviews and qualitative analysis. Which isn't ethnography.

I think cyber anthropology is a better direction than virtual
ethnography. Anyway, thats just my feed back,

Good luck!

Message: 1