[Air-L] Stimulus spending on brodband

Christopher J. Richter crichter at hollins.edu
Thu Jan 29 04:15:08 PST 2009

One way this is dealt with in the US is through the FCC's Universal Service mandate, which since the 1996 Telecom Act includes subsidies for PANS as well as POTS.  I don't know about amounts spent, though I do know that as a resident on a country road in a rural area in southwest Virginia served by a small independent phone company, I am a beneficiary, paying less for broadband than my in-laws in metro NJ.  You can find more info. at the FCC's site: http://www.fcc.gov/wcb/tapd/universal_service/

Christopher J. Richter
Associate Professor
Communication Studies
Hollins University