[Air-L] American Youth's Differential Use of New Media

Mary L. Gray qcentral at indiana.edu
Fri Jan 9 08:34:41 PST 2009

Hi folks,

Tina: I agree with sentiments of the other posts: 1) there's not much
out there and 2) as Caitlin Fisher noted, other than the Pew study,
one of the better compilations of work out there is the "Digital Youth
Research Project" funded by the MacArthur Foundation...here's the
link: http://digitalyouth.ischool.berkeley.edu/report

I'd also recommend looking at Sonia Livingstone's work in the the UK
as a counterpoint (to get a sense of the differences between work in
the U.S. and elsewhere). David Buckingham's collection "Youth,
Identity, and Digital Media" (MIT Press, 2007) is another broader take
on the questions you might find yourself asking.

Crispin Thurlow is editing a special collection of the Journal of
Computer-Mediated Communication addressing youth's differential uses
of new media. You might email him to ask if the volume's publication
date has been scheduled. JCMC came out with a really interesting
special issue on SNS (not youth-specific) that's also a great
collection to examine for more background (here's the intro article):
boyd, d. m., & Ellison, N. B. (2007). Social network sites:
Definition, history, and scholarship. Journal of Computer-Mediated
Communication, 13(1), article 11. http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol13/issue1/boyd.ellison.html

And a bit of shameless self-promotion (drums rolls a'rolling): my book
"Out in the Country: Youth, Media, and Queer Visibility in Rural
America" (NYU Press, 2009) will be out this August. It's a veritable
trifecta of differential use: how lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and
questioning young people use new media to craft a sense of visibility
in rural, working poor communities in the U.S. Specifically, it looks
at how the politics of gay visibility (expectations to be out and the
naturalization of the coming out process) interplay with class, race,
sexuality, gender, and space to shape young people's new media use. I
use ethnography to examine how young people engage new media to
collectively rework the boundaries of visibility and queer
authenticity vis-a-vis their families, schools, communities, and
online networks (hopefully troubling what we take for granted about
the boundaries between online and offline experiences and where we
expect to find queer identity work along the way).

You've picked a great area of research, Tina. I hope you add to the
growing body of work particularly concerned with the lives of youth
under 18. Th research on this demographic is particularly thin and in
need of a critical eye.

All the best,
Mary