[Air-L] Int'l Comm Assoc Award

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 22 14:48:26 PST 2009

The ICA has an interesting award. Not to brag too much, I won it last
year, and one of you might this year. But move quickly with your
nominations: Jan 31, 09 deadline.

Note that the nominators must be ICA members, but the winner doesn't have
to be. As the notice says below, the award is for researchers outside of
the field of communication.

Sociologists, historians, etc. in sociology, history, etc. departments are
eligible. And sociologists, historians etc. who happen to be in a
communication dept can be nominated, as long as they function as
sociologists, historians, etc.

I'm a committee member this year. I can answer general Qs to some extent,
(the kind of answers I could post to this list) but not specific ones and

Do note that it is about Communication RESEARCH -- I can think of some
wonderful non-researchers, but they wouldn't make it thru. And please
don't ask me to define Research now: that may make for lively committee
discussion.

There are no more criteria now than what is in this posting. There may be
much talmudic committee discussion. The committee obviously chose last
year's winner (me) on the basis of good looks.

Here's the official announcement from the ICA website:

COMMUNICATION RESEARCH AS AN OPEN FIELD

The CROF prize of $500 is awarded to researchers who have made important
contributions to the field of communications from outside the discipline
of communications. It rewards and supports dialogue with other fields and
institutional locations in which vital new understandings of the
communications environment and the public sphere are being produced.

Nomination Procedures

Nominations should contain:

   1. Letter(s) of nomination, not to exceed two pages apiece, speaking
directly to each of the award criteria from the description
   2. Publication(s) relevant to the award, If the publication is a book,
arrangements should be made with the publisher to ship 5 copies to Michael
Haley at ICA, 1500 21st Street, NW, Washington, DC  20036, USA),
   3. CV(s) of the nominee(s)
   4. All nomination materials should be submitted electronically by
January 31 of each year, 11:00 pm EST at www.icahdq.org/cfp.

 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
  Department of Sociology                        University of Toronto
  725 Spadina Avenue, Room 388                  Toronto Canada M5S 2J4
  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            fax:+1-416-978-3963

  Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php