[Air-L] Psychology and communication online

Richard Kunzmann rkunzmann at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 24 23:40:59 PST 2009

Dear Dominik,

In 2002 I completed my dissertation on the role which frequent internet communication in cyber-communities may play when people with spinal-cord injuries want to re-affirm their self-concepts and expand their circle of significant others.

If you want access to that dissertation, I can gladly send it to you.

However, there were some texts and sites I found very helpful, particularly those with a strong psychological slant:

John Suler's Website is an excellent starting point for confronting many of the issues currently affecting CMC as it applies to psychology

Also, Wallace, P. (1999). The Psychology of the Internet. New York: Cambridge University press

You might find some of the following articles and books good, though I'm sure a number  of researchers might have produced more recent research articles that have taken Web 2 etc. into account:

Baumeister, R.F. & Leary, M.R. (1995). The need to belong: Desire for interpersonal attachments as a fundamental human motivation. Psychological Bulletin, 117(3), 497-529

Haythornthwaite, C.B., Wellman, B. & Garton, L. (1998). Work and community via computer-mediated communication. In J. Gackenbach (Ed.), Psychology and the Internet: Intrapersonal, interpersonal and transpersonal implications (pp. 199 – 226). San Diego, California: Academic Press

Joinson, A.N. (1998). Causes and implications of disinhibition behaviour on the Internet. In J. Gackenbach (Ed.), Psychology and the Internet: Intrapersonal, interpersonal and transpersonal implications (pp. 43 – 60). San Diego, California: Academic Press
Joinson, A.N. (2001). Self-disclosure in computer-mediated communication: The role of self-awareness and visual anonymity. European Journal of Social Psychology, 31, 177-192

Williams, K.D., Cheung, C.K. & Choi, W. (2000). Cyberostracism: Effects of being ignored over the Internet. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 79(5), 748-762

I hope this helps you head off in the right direction!

Best,
Richard Kunzmann