[Air-L] A typology of internet forums?

Nils Löber nils at nils-loeber.de
Sun Jan 25 09:16:28 PST 2009

Dear list members,

in the course of researching for my master's thesis on image board
culture (think 4chan, LOLcats, Rickrolling etc.) I have been trying to
find literature describing a typology of internet forums and forum-
like precursors (BBSes/USENET/...) with respect to formal properties
such as moderated vs. unmoderated, anonymous vs. pseudonymous vs. real
names, distributed vs. centralized and so on.

Even though I put quite some effort into finding literature, I
couldn't find anything even closely approaching a comprehensive
overview/typology. In fact, the wikipedia article on internet forums
was as close as I came.

Can anyone here help me out and point me to relevant sources? Many
thanks in advance!

Best regards
Nils Loeber