[Air-L] out of luck re transcription?

Terrell Russell terrellrussell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 13:41:24 PST 2009

On 1/27/09 4:11 PM, jeremy hunsinger wrote:
> I've been told that 'transcription' is actually easily done using
> mechanical turk. You just have to make sure that you stipulate that in
> your IRB or other ethical considerations.
>
> however, the holy grail of automatic transcription via dragon or other
> tool has not yet been found :(

I've only heard good things about CastingWords.com - it doesn't need to
be trained as they're transcribed by people - via Amazon Mechanical
Turk.  Works very well for interviews (even with multiple speakers/voices).

The rates are pretty good - much cheaper than doing it yourself (unless
your time is free).

I've seen the output myself and vouch for the quality.

Terrell
PhD Student, SILS, UNC-CH