[Air-L] Publication quality

Larry Press lpress at csudh.edu
Fri Jan 2 17:45:58 PST 2009

Murray Turoff wrote:

 > We have too many publishers who are pushing almost a vanity press

So true.  How many conferences are thinly disguised tourism?  (I admit
to having gone to some myself :-).

There might be some relief through inter-operable means of tracking
article downloads and citations, which could inform the academic
promotion process.  For example ACM, Google Scholar, and Berkeley
Electronic Press track article downloads and citations, see:

http://cis471.blogspot.com/2009/01/rating-and-reputation-in-scholarly.html

This sort of data could become input to ones scholarly "reputation."

Larry