[Air-L] Livejournal Troubles?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Jan 6 10:56:46 PST 2009

FYI....may be nothing, may be fortelling of things to come. Either
way, might be wise to consider backing your journals up, those who
have them.

Is anyone here more knowledgable about this report involving one of (I
think) the more higher-quality social networks than little old me?

--rf

The Russian Bear Slashes a Social Network
By Owen Thomas, 2:24 AM on Tue Jan 6 2009, 28,824 views

The bubble in social networking has burst, decisively. LiveJournal,
the San Francisco-based arm of Sup, a Russian Internet startup, has
cut 12 of 28 U.S. employees — and offered them no severance, we're told.

The quirky site, part blog and part social network, is best known for
its users' weird obsessions — like the troublesome clique of Harry
Potter erotica writers, whose outré tastes ran afoul of LiveJournal's
efforts to comply with U.S. child-pornography laws. (Oddly, the site
also gained a following in Russia, which led to its acquisition by
Sup.) All that adds up to an environment even more distasteful to
advertisers than the typical social site.

The company's product managers and engineers were laid off, leaving
only a handful of finance and operations workers — which speaks to a
website to be left on life support. Matt Berardo, a Yahoo executive
hired on last summer, has also left.

< - >

http://valleywag.gawker.com/5124184/the-russian-bear-slashes-a-social-network