[Air-L] out of luck re transcription?

Burcu Bakioglu bbakiogl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 13:16:41 PST 2009

Alas, I've been transcribing my interviews for my dissertation, unless it
has been conducted through chat. It ate up a lot of my time, for sure. Not
sure if there is an easy way out :(

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Barry Wellman <wellman at chass.utoronto.ca>wrote:

> We've never found a transcription program that will work with interviews.
> That's because you need to train the program for each voice, and while the
> interviewers are trainable [;-)], each respondent isn't. Hard enuf to get
> a resp. to hold still to be interviewed.
>
> We have had good luck with transcription software, for going from voice
> recording to interviews. Tracy, what did we use last?
>
>  Barry Wellman
>
>  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
>  Department of Sociology                        University of Toronto
>  725 Spadina Avenue, Room 388                  Toronto Canada M5S 2J4
>  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman<http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/%7Ewellman>           fax:+1-416-978-3963
>
>  Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php

Thanks,</burcu>

Burcu S. Bakioglu

Ph.D. Candidate, Indiana University

http://www.palefirer.com
http://palefirer.com/blog/
Skype: PaleFireR
AIM: PaleFireR

--
"Congratulations! You're the first human to fail the Turing test."