[Air-L] Air-L Digest, Vol 54, Issue 8

Shelia Cotten cotten at uab.edu
Thu Jan 8 15:45:04 PST 2009

Hi Tina. My colleagues and I conducted a study of 1722 middle school
students in Maryland. We have a manuscript forthcoming at New Media &
Society looking at gender differences in mobile phone usage among middle
school students and several others that are in process at the moment
(some focusing on gender and some on race - most looking at a variety of
types of technology usage).

I'm also in the process of conducting a study of over 1,000 4th and 5th
graders in Birmingham, Alabama before they receive their XO laptops and
then following up approximately 6 months later. Students are over 90%
African American in the sample. No manuscripts yet, but we have great
data on all kinds of technology use!

Someone at Michigan State has also done a study with youth, looking at
racial and perhaps gender differences in technology usage. Can't recall
the name at this time.

Can you tell me more about your project?

Good luck.

Shelia

Shelia R. Cotten, PhD
Associate Professor