[Air-L] looking for feature article-like readings about twitter and yelp

David M Silver dmsilver at usfca.edu
Fri Jan 9 07:56:12 PST 2009

hello!

this spring i'm teaching a class called digital media production. it's a
production class which means students will be required to learn about
and to learn to use various digital media tools. throughout the
semester, we'll cover facebook, flickr, blogs, twitter, google maps,
online video, yelp, zotero, google docs, and wikipedia.

the course readings come more from popular magazines than academic
articles or books. for example, to better understand facebook and
flickr, we are reading clive thompson's "brave new world of digital
intimacy" (
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/magazine/07awareness-t.html ) from new
york times magazine. to learn about blogs, we'll read emily gould's
"exposed" (
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/25/magazine/25internet-t.html?_r=1 ) from
new york times magazine and andrew sullivan's "why i blog" (
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/print/200811/andrew-sullivan-why-i-blog )
from the atlantic. to help us understand wikipedia, we'll be reading
stacy schiff's "know it all: can wikipedia conquer expertise?" (
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/07/31/060731fa_fact ) from the new
yorker and marshall poe's "the hive" (
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200609/wikipedia ) from the atlantic.

question: can anyone suggest any other feature articles from similar
sources that explore twitter or yelp?

david silver
http://silverinsf.blogspot.com