[Air-L] So-called Digital Natives - interesting newspaper article

Christopher Lueg christopher.lueg at utas.edu.au
Tue Jan 20 20:14:25 PST 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, mhward wrote:

> Christopher Scanlon hasn't done much research on this. A simple google
> search would have told him that there has been a lot of work done in
> Australia on the concept of 'digital natives'.
> Most notably, Gregor Kennedy
> from Melbourne Uni has been leading a funded study on this concept - just
> completed, I think. Here's a link to one abstract:
> http://www.caudit.edu.au/educauseaustralasia07/papers/Digital%20Natives.pdf
> and here's one to a very recent article:
> http://www.ascilite.org.au/ajet/ajet24/kennedy.html

to quote:
"When one moves beyond entrenched technologies and tools (e.g. computers,
mobile phones, email), patterns of access to and use of other technologies
(e.g. MP3 players, social networking, file sharing) show considerable
variation."

The way they researched the topic makes it difficult unfortunately to
assess much 'expertise' students actually have in using devices/tools.

The following report might also be of interest:

"Google Generation" & Digital Resource
http://lisnews.org/google_generation_digital_resource

selective quoting:
"The study was to establish whether or not as a result of digital
transition, the "Google" generation are searching for and researching
content in new ways [...] the study found the the "Google" generation and
information literacy of young people,has not improved even with more
access to technology. [...]

Best regards
christopher