[Air-L] Transcription Software

Mark Chen markchen at u.washington.edu
Tue Jan 27 12:52:25 PST 2009

Hi all,

Just a thought, but depending on the kind of analysis you want to do,
transcribing might not even be necessary, as you might lose intonation and
different registers and such of speech...  If you are also doing
videotaping, transcribing might leave out all the gestural, interactional
stuff you'd want to analyze.

If the purpose is to have snippets of data that you can present or publish,
then you can selectively transcribe the bits you need (or cut video,
etc.)...

mark

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Sue Cranmer
<sue at jcranmer.freeserve.co.uk>wrote:

> Hello Stephanie
>
> Good luck with your PhD. Unfortunately (and I wish this were otherwise), I
> doubt that Dragon will help you with transcribing qualitative interviews.
> I've used it for several years (now using 9.5 though 10 has been released),
> I have never had any success with getting it to transcribe interviews for
> me. The reason is that although the newer versions don't need so much voice
> training as earlier versions, the trick when using Dragon is to speak in
> phrases so that it can pick up the sense of each word. Also, you need to
> verbalise punctuation. I have carried out some transcribing of audio data
> with it, but it has involved listening to a recording and then speaking
> each
> word into a microphone. Hopefully this helps although it's probably not
> what
> you want to hear.
>
> Best Wishes
>
> Sue
>

> This text was dictated using Speech Recognition software. Apologies for any
> mistakes left uncorrected.
>

> Dr Sue Cranmer
>
> Researcher
>
> Department of Education
>
> University of Oxford
>
> 15 Norham Gardens
>
> Oxford OX2 6PY

Mark Chen | PhD Candidate | Games ethnographer/researcher
Ed Tech/Learning Sciences | University of Washington - Seattle
My games research and life in academia blog: markdangerchen.net