[Air-L] Research on multiple CMC environments

Fred Stutzman fred at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Jan 28 16:14:50 PST 2009

These citations might be a good start.  They aren't all necessarily CMC
studies, but they do cover the integration of multiple communication
channels.

Shklovski, I., Kraut, R., and Cummings, J.  (2008).  Keeping in touch by
technology: maintaining friendships after a residential move.  In
Proceeding of the twenty-sixth annual SIGCHI conference on Human factors in
computing systems, Florence, Italy, 2008 (pp. 807-816).

Quan-Haase, A.  (2007).  University Students' Local And Distant Social
Ties: Using and integrating modes of communication on campus.  Information,
Communication & Society, 10(5), 671 - 693.

Cummings, J. N., Lee, J. B., and Kraut, R.  (2006).  Communication
technology and friendship during the transition from high school to
college. In Kraut, R., Brynin, M., and Kiesler, S. (Eds.), Computers,
Phones, and the Internet: Domesticating Information Technology (pp.
265-278). USA: Oxford University Press.

Mesch, G. S. and Talmud, I.  (2006).  Online Friendship Formation,
Communication Channels, and Social Closeness.  International Journal of
Internet Science, 1(1), 29-44.

Recchiuti, J. K.  (2003).  College Students Uses and Motives for Email,
Instant Messaging and Online Chat Rooms.  Masters thesis, University of
Delaware.

Best,
Fred

--