[Air-L] virtual ethnography

Annette Markham amarkham at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 01:33:40 PST 2009

Hi Laetitia,

I would recommend some general books on ethnography (not virtual) to get a
solid grounding in the background, history, and current practices.  One of
your colleagues there in Bergen should be able to point you to several
books/articles, as she's done a lot of ethnographic research (Hilde Arntsen).

I would also recommend looking at the various types of qualitative methods
you want to use within the large (and often too-vague) umbrella "virtual
ethnography."  You mention interviewing and survey, but as you read more
about ethnography, you might remove or add specific frameworks and
procedures for gathering, sorting or analyzing information. Once you break
the methods down more specifically, the methodology resources can provide
more specific step by step guidance.

For interviewing, I would start with this comprehensive volume, if your
library has it:
Gubrium, Jaber, & Holstein, James (2001).  Handbook of Interview Research.
London: Sage.

Since you may be considering mixing qualitative and quantitative methods, I
recommend John Creswell as a good introduction to research design, because
he compares different approaches in the same books.  He also gives decent
'step by step' guidance.  I would supplement both these books with other,
more comprehensive resources, but these are both good introductions to what
you might want to accomplish:

Creswell, John (2008). Research Design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed
method approaches. London: Sage.
Cresswell, John (2006).  Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing
among five methods. London: Sage.

Cheers,

Annette

Annette N. Markham, Ph.D.
Senior Research Fellow, Internet Research Ethics
Center for Information Policy Research
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
amarkham at gmail.com
http://www.cipr.uwm.edu/
http://markham.internetinquiry.org/

Co-Editor, International Journal of Internet Research Ethics
http://www.ijire.uwm.edu