[Air-L] Psychology and communication online

Dominik M. Rosenauer rosenauer at mac.com
Sun Jan 25 05:50:47 PST 2009

hi richard!

thank you for your literature and help! I would be happy to read your
dissertation and if you could email me a copy or link where I can find it;

I also found Johns web-book very helpful in my work and think it is a
great starting point in psychological "thesis breeding"!

Dominik

> Dear Dominik,
> In 2002 I completed my dissertation on the role which frequent internet
> communication in cyber-communities may play when people with spinal-cord
> injuries want to re-affirm their self-concepts and expand their circle
> of significant others.
> If you want access to that dissertation, I can gladly send it to you.
> However, there were some texts and sites I found very helpful,
> particularly those with a strong psychological slant:
> John Suler's Website is an excellent starting point for confronting many
> of the issues currently affecting CMC as it applies to psychology
> Also, Wallace, P. (1999). The Psychology of the Internet. New York:
> Cambridge University press
> You might find some of the following articles and books good, though I'm
> sure a number  of researchers might have produced more recent research
> articles that have taken Web 2 etc. into account:
> Baumeister, R.F. & Leary, M.R. (1995). The need to belong: Desire for
> interpersonal attachments as a fundamental human motivation.
> Psychological Bulletin, 117(3), 497-529
> Haythornthwaite, C.B., Wellman, B. & Garton, L. (1998). Work and
> community via computer-mediated communication. In J. Gackenbach (Ed.),
> Psychology and the Internet: Intrapersonal, interpersonal and
> transpersonal implications (pp. 199 – 226). San Diego, California:
> Academic Press
> Joinson, A.N. (1998). Causes and implications of disinhibition behaviour
> on the Internet. In J. Gackenbach (Ed.), Psychology and the Internet:
> Intrapersonal, interpersonal and transpersonal implications (pp. 43 –
> 60). San Diego, California: Academic Press
> Joinson, A.N. (2001). Self-disclosure in computer-mediated
> communication: The role of self-awareness and visual anonymity. European
> Journal of Social Psychology, 31, 177-192
> Williams, K.D., Cheung, C.K. & Choi, W. (2000). Cyberostracism: Effects
> of being ignored over the Internet. Journal of Personality and Social
> Psychology, 79(5), 748-762
> I hope this helps you head off in the right direction!
> Best,
> Richard Kunzmann

mag.phil. dominik m. rosenauer

klinischer und gesundheitspsychologe