[Air-L] out of luck re transcription?

Pam Brewer brewerpe at appstate.edu
Thu Jan 29 07:42:41 PST 2009

I recently conducted 99 interviews using VOIP and phone (about 150 hours
of interviews).  Like others, I couldn't find any software tool that
would transcribe the interviews effectively, and I didn't think the
final product of machine transcription would capture what I needed
efficiently and effectively anyway.  So, I used tried and true,
dirty-hands methods.  I took good notes while interviewing and recorded
the interviews digitally.  I then transcribed my own written notes more
thoroughly immediately after each interview.  It was from those notes
that I gathered my data, and I used the digital recordings to check the
accuracy of quotes, review details of an issue, review tone, etc.  But I
made no attempt to transcribe all of the audio notes from the files.

Pamela Estes Brewer
Assistant Professor
Department of English
Appalachian State University