[Air-L] Introducing myself

Mariana Matos marianasantiagodematos at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 04:35:49 PDT 2009

Hello, Nishant!

Thank you very much for your message and the link for your article. It seems like something close to what happens in Brazil, although maybe there are some differences.

I have a question that maybe you'll be able to answer. The two youngsters who died still receive many scraps on Orkut. I guess it may be due to the high publicity that their cases achieved, and also because their deaths are somehow linked to their Orkut use. Do you notice that it happens also with people whose death wasn't on the media? I ask it because in Brazil dead people's profiles in general keep receiving scraps, even if they weren't published by the media. In these cases, we can see friends and family writing often. In the scraps, they write about how they're missing the deceased person, they "talk" about their memories and also they tell them about things happening on their everyday. The scraps don't seem like tributes, they're very personal and emotive.

The fake profiles are something that also happen in Brazil. It's common to see fake profiles when the death's a result of murder or other brutal crime, and often when it gains a huge space on the news. I must add that people don't clone just the deceased person's profile, but also the murderer's one, in some cases. We had last year a brutal crime that resulted in the death of a little girl, who was supposedly killed by her own father. The father's profile on Orkut was cloned by so many people that we cannot tell which one is the real one.

Actually I searched the 2 teenagers from India profiles, and I think I just found the fake ones. Do you know which are the real ones? I think it would be interesting to have a look on them.  I'm also very interested on the chapter of your thesis concerned these 2 deaths. I'd be very thankful if you could send it to me!

Thank you very much for your information!

Best,

Mariana
PhD Student
PUC-Rio