[Air-L] Information wants to be ASCII or Unicode? Tibetan-written information cannot be ASCII anyway.

Han-Teng Liao (OII) han-teng.liao at oii.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 14 00:21:24 PDT 2009

Dear all,

   Running the risk of trolling and misrepresenting the famous motto
"Information wants to be ASCII", I want to raise the question of the
difference between "Information wants to be ASCII" versus "Information
wants to be Unicode" from a multilingual perspective.

   It should be pointed out when  Lev Manovich declare "Information
wants to be ASCII"  when talking about remix and remixability of
information, it was in 2005 when the adoption of Unicode was just in the
early adoption period globally.  So I do not intend to raise the
question to make lazy criticism against the America-centric implication
inside ASCII, but rather raise the question about remix and remixability
across linguistic boundaries.

    Why the Unicode is not universally deployed yet?  How can we measure
the remixability across linguistic boundaries simply because the
information are encoded not in Unicode?  Why so many user-generated
content websites in China are only using their simplified-Chinese-only
kind of "national standard" (GB2312) even when Hong Kong (using
traditional Chinese not included in GB2312) is part of China and Beijing
claims Taiwan is part of China?  What about Tibetan-written information:
is it want to be Unicode or GB 18030-2000?  Tibetan-written information
cannot be ASCII anyway.

       I really like to hear from you.

Best regards,

--