[Air-L] CFP: E-Youth. Balancing between opportunities and risks?

Van Cleemput Katrien katrien.vancleemput at ua.ac.be
Wed Jul 15 02:51:29 PDT 2009

e-Youth

Balancing between opportunities and risks?

Multidisciplinary conference

May 27th & 28th 2010

Antwerp, Belgium

http://www.ucsia.be/eyouth

UCSIA and the University of Antwerp are pleased to announce the organisation of a two-day international, multidisciplinary conference on children, adolescents & ICT.
We welcome a broad audience including researchers, educators, students, policy makers, NGO and industry representatives to share research results and discuss policy and educational issues regarding children’s and adolescents’ use of information and communication technologies.

The conference will focus on national and international research dealing with social, cultural, economic, legal, psychological and ethical issues regarding youngsters’ uses of different internet applications and mobile telephony. Contributions on both the multiple opportunities offered by technologies and on the (new) risks youngsters are confronted with are welcomed. Research and initiatives concerning the educational and mediating role of parents and educators will be discussed too. The conference will also provide a forum for good practices of sensitizing or educational campaigns.

Oral presentations, posters and demonstrations can be submitted about -but not limited to- the following issues:

1. Youngsters and ICT: a heterogeneous group
    > gap in access and competences – social differences – distributive (in-)justice

2. Youngsters and ICT: developmental changes and related needs
   > the construction of the self and social networks – self-disclosure & privacy – sexual exploration – technological & social normativity – entertainment and education needs

3. Youngsters and ICT: a vulnerable (target) group?
    > electronic marketing – riskful contacts (harassment, racism, cyberbullying, ...)

4. Youngsters and ICT: awareness, protection and empowerment
   > perception of ICT-related risks – parental mediation – sensitizing and educational campaigns

5. Youngsters and ICT: ethical & legal issues
    > Adapting research methods – ethical issues – legislation, self- and co-regulation

Practical information: