[Air-L] CFP: Middle East Journal of Culture and Communication
linakhatib at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 17 08:09:06 PDT 2009
Call for Papers
Middle EastJournal of Culture and Communication
Lina Khatib, Royal Holloway, University of London
Tarik Sabry, University of Westminster
Dina Matar, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
John, L. Esposito, Georgetown University
Gholam Khiabany, London Metropolitan University
The Middle East Journal of Culture and Communication, now in its second year, is a new platform for interdisciplinary scholarly work that explores transformations in culture, communication, and politics in the Middle East and North Africa . The Journal aims to challenge the traditional paradigms used to understand media and the Middle East , seeing “communication” as extending beyond the study of media in the traditional sense.
MEJCC welcomes contributions from international scholars engaged with the Middle East within various academic disciplines and using diverse approaches, whether as articles or reviews of films, books (including novels), and exhibitions.
MEJCC is seeking papers critically addressing (though not exclusive to) the following:
- the old and new media in all their forms (the broadcast media, the print media, electronic media, and film), whether in or about the Middle East
- processes of communication in geographical space in the Middle East (including street art, posters and architecture)
- popular culture in the Middle East
- the relationship between the media (including interactive communication technologies) and political and social processes in the region
- the cultural practices through which power is expressed and politics is performed.
MEJCC is published by Brill. The first issue of the Journal can be accessed free at www.brill.nl/mjcc. MEJCC’s latest issue deals with political communication in the Middle East; the forthcoming issue with media, geopolitics and public diplomacy; and the following one with Palestinian cultural studies.
Contributions should be original work which has neither been simultaneously submitted for publication elsewhere nor published previously. Manuscripts should be submitted through Editorial Manager, which can be accessed via: http://www.editorialmanager.com/mjcc/
Informal queries can be addressed to the editors: mjcc at brill.nl
More information about the Air-L