[Air-L] Free Culture <FAIL > Research Workshop 2009

Giorgos Cheliotis gcheliotis.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 12:54:38 PDT 2009

I am one of the organizers of the workshop and in fact started it all
last year in Sapporo, so I am also largely responsible for the
composition of the committee although the opinions of many more people
factored in as well. I find that the gender issue is interesting and
is perhaps symptomatic of certain fields of academic endeavor and also
present in some practices of what we may broadly call 'free culture'.
I know more male DJ's and remixers than female, and there is more
evidence of that nature that is mostly anecdotal, so I cannot make any
definitive statements here. I'd like to write a paper about it though,
so I'm slowly collecting relevant data. I think there are some salient
issues with respect to the participation of women in what we call
'free culture'. If anyone has relevant data points, especially
published work, please do share.

But now going from these general thoughts to insinuations of
discriminatory behavior on our part is taking it too far. I am
surprised I have to say by the approach of Mary Bryson who may have
good intentions at heart but who chooses to publicly criticize our
efforts and even publicly label them as FreeCultureFail (sic), instead
of communicating her discontent directly to the organizers first and
trying to understand who we are and how we do what we do. Indeed Mary,
"maybe there is a story here, or not", but I think it would have been
better if you had done some more research on this matter before
hinting at any possible discrimination on our part. Even your hasty
and incorrect calculation of 4 in 40 shows that your email to the list
was probably written without much forethought. I would have been happy
to discuss any issues with you personally, but you never sought any
such discussion.

 From my part I can just say that we tried to include the people who
seemed the most relevant and had to also contend with the fact that
some replied to our invitations to join the program committee and some
did not. Gender was never a factor in the composition of the
committee. It was purely on academic merit, having shown strong
interest in participation in the past, having a relevant and recent
track record of published work, and, to a much smaller extent, a
matter of serendipity and familiarity with the persons involved. I do
not keep a catalogue of everyone in the world doing relevant research
and it may be that I know more male researchers in the field than
female. To that end what Gabriella and Elizabeth are doing will be a
constructive contribution that I applaud. Personally I will still use
academic merit and motivation/commitment as my main factors whenever
anyone asks me about who should be on a program committee, but I can
at least check the names on my mind against such a list to try and
control for any bias that I may have and be unaware of. For what it's
worth, we had actually one woman declining our invitation due to other
commitments, while another one was invited and didn't reply.

Best,
Giorgos