[Air-L] CFP: Audacity of Hope? /thirdspace: a journal of feminist theory and culture/

Georgia Gaden georgiagaden at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 08:21:26 PDT 2009

The journal and theme are not particularly Internet-focused but I
thought that the theme might be of interest to some here especially
given the significance of online communication in Obama's campaign and
in U.S. political discussion during this presidential race.

The editors of /thirdspace: a journal of feminist theory and culture/
invite submissions for our forthcoming issue ‘Audacity of Hope?’

We are seeking submissions that critically engage with the notion of
hope as it was used by a diverse assortment of constituents in the
2008 American presidential election. As a key theme in Barack Obama’s
campaign (and his book ‘Audacity of Hope’), the term evokes the
possibility of transformational change. How does this version/vision
of hope frame debates about gender and equity issues, struggles for
equality and the recognition of difference? To what extent has the
‘hope’ agenda impacted on politics, policy and popular media during
Obama’s presidency to date? This issue invites contributions that
consider:

•       Obama's first months as president and the hope and/or reality
of social change
•       the catchphrase ‘yes we can’ and its appropriation, as well as
what it might mean in terms of gender, race, sexuality and other
parameters of difference
•       that controversial Ms. cover and discussions of Obama as a
“feminist savior.”
•       the global currency of Obama’s hope rhetoric (i.e. Cairo speech)
•       hope for policy and social change around issues such as
abortion (the possibility or desirability of a "Common Ground"
approach, the global gag rule), health care, economic equality
•       the hope of LGBTQ people in the Obama campaign and subsequent
disillusionment (i.e. Don’t Ask Don’t Tell and the brief defending
DOMA)
•       the opposite of hope: despair, disillusionment, cynicism
•       critical responses to the USA’s embrace of hope and its global
implications
•       the significance of gender and race in the presidential race
and subsequently (such as the nomination of Sonia Sotomayor and the
media's response to it, Obama's handling of information about sexual
abuse by members of the U.S. military)
•       media coverage of the election in terms of constructions of
gender, race and sexuality (Obama, as well as John McCain, Hillary
Clinton and Sarah Palin)
•       the merchandising of the image of Obama and his family,
including the gender and racial implications of “selling” Michelle
Obama as First Lady, the marketing of products associated with Sasha
and Malia Obama, etc. and links to gender/difference

We welcome submissions from a wide range of disciplinary and
geographical perspectives. Submissions from researchers working
within, or among, the disciplines of geography, sociology, literature,
area studies, cultural studies, film/media studies, art, history,
education, law, and women’s/gender studies are particularly
encouraged.

We accept the submission of work from scholars of any rank or
affiliation, and encourage submissions from emerging feminist
scholars, including graduate students.

All submissions to the journal must be submitted electronically
through our online submission process. All submissions are
peer-reviewed by established, senior feminist scholars. For more
information on our publishing policies see:
http://www.thirdspace.ca/journal/about/editorialPolicies

To submit: Please follow our online submission process at
http://www.thirdspace.ca/journal/about/submissions

** Deadline: September 15, 2009 **

For more information, please contact us at info [at] thirdspace.ca