[Air-L] The Internet and Politics: Key Readings

William Dutton william.dutton at oii.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 27 01:42:17 PDT 2009

My thanks to all who have commented on the list, or to me personally.
All input is extremely helpful, so please don't hesitate to send even
a single reference that you have found critical to your own research
or teaching in the area of politics and the Internet. I've avoided
commenting on each response but appreciate all.

To those who may not recall my mission:

>> I have agreed to edit a 4 volume set that will reprint journal
>> articles and
>> book chapters that are core to the study of the Internet and
>> politics. In a
>> very open-ended fashion, I would be very grateful for your
>> nominations of
>> work that should be included in such a set. I plan to include work
>> that
>> predates the Internet as we know it today, which has helped to
>> shape and
>> inform academic perspectives on the political role of computing and
>> telecommunications, but also be as contemporary as book publishing
>> allows.
>> Here is an opportunity to assembly the key works in an increasingly
>> significant area, so please do take the time to provide me with your
>> recommendations. I will acknowledge those who provide me with their
>> considered views on this, as it will be important for the field to
>> get this
>> list as strong as possible.

Professor William H. Dutton, Director
Oxford Internet Institute